Saturday, July 14, 2012

Day 4: Paris

I'm a bit behind on my writing for this trip. We have been keeping an amazingly busy schedule. I don't think I have had enough time to process everything we have seen and done in the past 24 hours. I'm taking any opportunity to write when I can. Currently, I am writing on the bus ride back to Paris from Versailles.

All aboard? We're still looking for the elusive Inspector Sans.
Day four began with an early wake up call for our Eurostar train from London to Paris. I have been on the Eurostar several times, but I am still amazed by this train under the English Channel every time I ride. Napoleon and Hitler never realized thier plans to cross over and invade England across this body of water (thankfully). Now, it only takes about 25 minutes to go under the Channel. It only takes 2 hours to travel from St. Pancras Station in London to the Gare du Nord in Paris.

Some of us don't really understand this jumping thing. We'll work on that.
After a quick stop for lunch near the Opera Garnier, we met our local tour guide for our bus tour of Paris. We were treated to a tour of the highlights of Paris with Amale, one of the best guides in the city. After a fantastic dinner and an even better dessert, we rushed through the rain for a very rainy boat cruise on the Seine. Fortunately, the boat was covered. We won't let a little rain ruin our fun, anyway. In Europe there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Twinkling lights on the Eiffel Tower.
I closed the evening with a small group at a cafe about a block away form our hotel. We shared a bottle of wine and watched the lights on the Eiffel Tower twinkle to round out our first day in Paris.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment