Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 2: London

Parliament, Big Ben, & the famous London CCTV
What an exciting and exhausting day! We arrived at Heathrow at 9:20 this morning and managed to breeze through the border security line. We picked up our luggage, met up with Thomas, our tour manager, and then dropped our luggage off at the hotel. That's when the fun really began. A 30-minute ride on the Tube (we have to stay a bit outside of London this year because the Olympics) dropped us in Picadilly Circus, the Times Square of London. The brief walk up to Leicester Square was the perfect introduction to London for the uninitiated members of our group. London is truly a global city. Within a few short blocks of Leicester Square you can find great Chinese food, fantastic Indian curry, and traditional English pub faire. My little group chose traditional shepards pie and a Guinness for me).

The Spanish crisis is worse than we thought.
From Leicester Square we broke up into smaller groups. I took my group on a tour of the heart of the British government, a walk up Whitehall to the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. Are we calling that thing ElizabethTower yet? We walked through some very authentic English rain around Wesminster, checked out Westminster Abbey, and visited the Horse Guards before returning to the hotel for dinner.

Very tired travelers (except for Eddie)
I apologize for the briefness of this post. I don't think I have had any sleep since I left San Diego. Tomorrow we have a great day lined up, including a visit to the Tower.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment