Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 14: London





Today was devoted to nothing but free time to explore London. This city, unlike many of its continental counterparts, is a swinging place on a Sunday. Thank you Henry VIII and the Church of England! While many of the people in our little group spent the day looking for Abbey Road and Platform 9 3/4, I spent my day enjoying two of the best free museums in London. After an hour-long stroll across the River Thames to Victoria Embankment, across Parliament Bridge, and up Whitehall, I scored a place at the front of the modest crowd waiting for the doors to open to the National Gallery on Trafalgar Square. When the doors opened I was the first one in. I spent a very satisfying three hours exploring the museum's collection. Everything from the late middle ages throughout the early 20th century can be found in this one amazing museum. I didn't stop there. After a quick lunch I spent another two hours in the National Portrait Gallery. My favorite portraits in this museum were the portraits of Sir Paul McCartney and David Bowie. Judging from the news coverage on Sky and the BBC, we should probably expect to see Amy Winehouse in there soon. :-P





After my museum trips I hiked on up to Picadilly for high tea a Fortnum & Mason. I got a little more than I bargained for at this London institution. I was invited into a conversation about the American debt crisis by two very friendly gentlemen sitting a couple of chairs away. After some great tea and conversation it was time to head back to Kensington for our last dinner in London. Tomorrow morning we head out for Heathrow to catch our flight back to the Colonies... I mean the States.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment