Sunday, June 5, 2011

Getting Around: Is There A Better Way?




It's amazing how travel can change your perspectives. I was sitting in traffic last week, feeling the frustration of so many California drivers, when it hit me. I would have given anything to be sitting comfortably on a commuter train, reading a book instead of fighting traffic. Suddenly, the constant construction of new freeway lanes and special toll lanes seemed less like a real solution to the problem of gridlock, and more like a big invitation to more of the same old thing. I blame this attitude on my exposure to the efficient public transportation systems of cities like Paris, Munich, and London. It is possible, and indeed very easy, to live in these cities without the use of a car at all. In fact, the busiest street in Munich, Kaufinger Strasse, is a pedestrians-only thoroughfare. Efficient high-speed rail systems like the TGV make it possible to zip between major cities in a couple of hours (Laussane to Paris in 3.5 hours, Paris to London in 2.5 hours!). After these great experiences with rapid transit in Europe, I come home hoping that someday the United States (or at least California) will be able to enjoy the benefits of quick, affordable rail systems.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment